Sheilah [Wilson] ReStack
1975 Caribou River, Nova Scotia
- MFA Studio Arts Practice Goldsmiths College, London, United Kingdom.
- BFA NSCAD University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- BA Honors English and French, Mount Allison University, New Brunswick.
- House Becomes You, with Dani ReStack, GAA Gallery, Wellfleet, MA (upcoming)
- Labors: An Exhibition Exploring the Complexities of Motherhood, curated by Kate Shannon, OSU Pearl Conrad Gallery
- Stack for Carrington's Hyena, Iceberg Projects, Chicago, IL (with Dani [Leventhal] ReStack)
- A Hand in Two Ways (Fisted), Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH (with Dani [Leventhal] ReStack)
- Citings/Sightings, Lennon Weinberg, New York, NY
- East is the New West, curated by Sophia Bartholomew, Vancouver Art/Book fair.
- Pole Saw curated by Fritz Horstman, Pyramiden, Russia
- Satellite Squared, Migrational Methods & a Romantic Gonzo Gesture curated by Zahar Vaks, Satellite Contemporary, Las Vegas.
- Always Already Here, curated by Joshua Bienko, Ortega y Gasset Booth at Baltimore Art Fair.
- Doing Our Own Thing: Back-to-the-land in Eastern Canada during the 1970s curated by Pan Wendt and Amish Morell, Confederation Centre, PEI.
- Tightened, as If By Pliers, curated by Joshua Bienko and Leeza Meksin, Knockdown Center, Queens, NY.
- Earthwerks and other Celestial Familiars, Sidecar Gallery, Indiana. OYG member show.
- Pictou Island Portage, curated by Eryn Foster, Nova Scotia.
- The Fixed Shadow, Jurors Carol Panaro-Smith and James Hajicek, Wright State University, Ohio.
- DESPAIR / DESPAIR NOT, Installation Nuit Blanche, Toronto, Ontario.
- RELAY RELAY, ORTEGA Y GASSET PROJECTS, collective group show, Bushwick, New York.
- BUILD YOUR ALTAR (solo show), Enjoy Public Art Gallery, Wellington, New Zealand. *
- The Almost Metal Collective, curated by David Jones, A + D Gallery Columbia College, Chicago.*
- Society Photographic Educators, Carnegie Visual and Performing Arts Center, Cincinnati, Ohio. Curated by Catherine Evans.
- The Invisible Inside the Visible, (solo show) Ross Creek Center for the Arts, Nova Scotia.
- If Becoming This, (solo show) Antioch University, Ohio. *
- A line drawn continuously and without looking while you tell your out of body experience, Anna Leonowens Gallery (solo show), NSCAD Artist in Residence/ Visiting Artist, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- W(here), curated by Mary MacDonald, Pictou County, Nova Scotia. *
- Brevity of all things pure, Featherston Seen, window installation, Featherston, New Zealand.
- Ephemeral Traces, Enjoy Gallery, Wellington, New Zealand. Curated by Claudia Arozqueta. *
- Melting Snow by Hand and other Minor Miracles, Queen Elizabeth II Park, Masterton, New Zealand.
- Memory Translation Machine, (solo show) Roy G Biv Gallery, Columbus, Ohio.
- Courage, storefront installation, River John, Nova Scotia.
- Time Sensitive, Ohio State University Urban Arts Space, Columbus, Ohio. Juried by Ola Stoehl.
- you are my favorite photograph, (solo show) Denison Museum, Granville, Ohio. *
- Image Ohio, Fort Hayes Shot Tower Gallery, Columbus, Ohio.
- Ohio Art League Juried Show, Fort Hayes Shot Tower Gallery, Columbus, Ohio. Juried by Liza Dent, curator at Columbus Museum of Art.
- 20th Anniversary, Roy G. Biv Gallery, Columbus Ohio. Juried by Christopher Lynn, director of SPACES.
- this is only one of the possible redemptions, (solo show) Through the Flower, Belen, New Mexico. *
- Terminal Video Festival, Austin Peay State University, Tennessee.
- Small Scale Big Ambition, with Andy Weber and Emily Hall, Rutgers University, New Jersey.
- Faculty show, Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Add-Art and the Future of Online Advertising, curated by Paddy Johnson for Eyebeam Gallery.
- Southwest Biennial, Albuquerque Museum of Fine Art, New Mexico.
- Short Suite, City Gallery, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Forevermagic, solo show, Center for Contemporary Arts, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Come Out and Play, Supermasochist group video screening, Apexart, New York.
- ERI 3, group bookwork show, Eyelevel Gallery, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- New Feminist Works, group show and first place award, Belen, New Mexico.
- outside it is a dark spread even, Salon Mar Graff, Tesuque, New Mexico. *
- Loosely Joined, Creative Capital participants show, 516 Arts, Albuquerque, New Mexico, curated by Diane Karp.*
- Noche Delcious III, curator and organizer of the Madrid Ballpark outdoor film and video festival.
- CCA/disCoarse Art Santa Fe 26 hour performance, art Santa Fe location, curated by Cyndi Conn and Zane Fischer.
- Some place I have never travelled, Cruz Gallery, New Mexico, curated by Cyndi Conn.
- Flight of Fancy, Museum of Fine Arts, New Mexico, curated by Laura Addisson. (podcast)
- Eye to I, 516 Arts, Albuquerque, New Mexico, curated by Suzanne Sbarge.*
- Site Santa Fe commission for work at New Years Eve party.
- Ouch my Eye! at the Artspace, Philadelphia, curated by Michael Lorefice.
- Drift, Bronx River Art Center, New York, curated by Eileen Torpey.
- Noche Delicious II, curator and organizer for local, outdoor film festival in the Madrid Ballpark, New Mexico.
- Sappy Film Festival, Sackville, New Brunswick, curated by Goody B. Wiseman.
- Southwest Biennial, Albuquerque Museum of Fine Art, New Mexio. Curated by Nels Agather. *
- Golden Egg book launch, Philspace, Santa Fe, New Mexico.*
- The Screen Short Film Festival, curated screening of short films, Santa Fe, NM.
- Confessions, Orange County Center for Contemporary Art, juried by Pamela Grau Tewa.
* = catalogue associated
- Maryland Film Festival, Baltimore, Maryland
- Anthology Film Archives, New York
- Iowa City International Film Festival, Iowa
- ReStack's Proposal at Leslie Lohman LGBTQ Museum Project Space, New York (Shameless Light and SOTD)
- Images Festival, Toronto, Canada (A Hand in Two Ways; Fisted)
- Bucharest International Experimental Film and Video Festival, Romania (SOTD)
- Jeonju International Film Festival in Seoul, South Korea (SOTD)
- Onion City Experimental Film and Video Festival, Chicago (SOTD) Won Best of Festival
- Wexner Visiting Filmmaker (Shameless Light Performance, screening Strangely Ordinary This Devotion (SOTD) and Q&A with Chris Stults)
- Toronto International Film Festival; Strangely Ordinary This Devotion (SOTD), Wavelengths, curated by Andrea Picard.
- Berwick Film and Media Arts Festival Strangely Ordinary This Devotion (SOTD)
- Athens International Film Festival Juror Screening SOTD and Shameless Light Performance
- Whitney Biennial, premiere of Strangely Ordinary This Devotion (SOTD)
- Shameless Light performance, Dani Leventhal and Sheilah Wilson, Lyric Theatre, Carizozzo NM.
- Repeat Pressure Until, Angela Meleca Gallery, Columbus, Ohio. (curator)
- Mother Mother, volume II, edited publication of mother artists and writers.
- Repeat Pressure Until, Ortega y Gasset Projects, New York. (curator)
- Mother Mother, volume I, edited publication of mother artists and writers.
- Body As Omen, curated performance series with Maria Hupfield, Ryder Cooley, Blanko + Noiry, Baker Overstreet, Michael Dudeck, Rachel Mason, Geo Wyeth and The Institute for New Feeling. Ortega y Gasset projects, New York.*
- The Map is Not the Territory, thematic residency Cowhouse Studios, Ireland
- The Annex Arts Center and Residency, Castine, ME
- Carrizozo Artist Residency, New Mexico.
- Headlands Center for the Arts, California.
- Confederation Centre Artist Research Residency, Prince Edward Island.
- Struts & Faucet Gallery Artist in Residence, New Brunswick.
- Full Tilt Residency, Newfoundland.
- Artist in Residence, NSCAD University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Something in the Water: thematic residency with Adam Chodzko. Banff Center for the Arts, Alberta.
- New Pacific Studios, Masterton, New Zealand.
- Denison University Research Funding House Becomes You.
- Canada Council for the Arts: Research and Development for Future from Inside.
- Onion City Best of Festival Award by Amina Ross, Carl Bogner and Hannah Piper-Burns
- Howard Foundation Photography Fellowship, Brown University
- Canada Council for the Arts: Project Grant.
- Honorable Mention Excellence in Photographic Teaching, Center for Photography Santa Fe.
- Ohio Arts Council Individual Excellence in Photography Grant
- Denison University Research Funding for Sweetly the Pilgrim Slowly the Way.
- Denison University Research Funding for BUILD YOUR ALTAR, solo show.
- Spectrum Series funding for THIS COULD BE AN ACT OF COURAGE, performance at Denison University.
- Canada Council for the Arts: Project Grant.
- Scholarship for Something in the Water, thematic residency at Banff Center for the Arts.
- Renee Steidel Award, selected by Christopher Bedford from the Wexner Center at Ohio Art League Juried show.
- Denison University Research Foundation grant for 'Songs Worth Singing'.
- Canada Council Travel Grant for 'this is only one of the possible redemptions'.
- First prize in New Feminist works competition, sponsored by the Through the Flower Foundation.
- Creative Capital Development professional grant recipient.
- Pictou Island Seekers by Mary McDonald, Visual Art News; Summer 2018
- Screening and workshop Fact to Fiction at Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Artist talk, OSU Sculpture Club
- The Image Looked at Twice, Bleeds Anew, talk and critiques for Image Makers class at Ohio State University
- Images Festival Public Intimacies with Jon Wang and Dani ReStack moderated by Richard Fung.
- Wexner Center Film Notes for screening SOTD and Shameless Light.
- The Festival Beneath the Festival, Selections from the Toronto International Film Festival, Phil Coldiron, Brooklyn Rail, October 2017.
- Artforum Critic's Pick, Jason Foumberg, October 2017.
- Critics Roundup: Phil Coldiron Brooklyn Rail, Michael Sicinski Cinemascope, Jordan Cronk Sight and Sound, Kelley Dong MUBI's Notebook
- TIFF 2017: Top Picks and Coverage Roundup
- TIFF 2017: Correspondences #6 by Kelley Dong for Toronto International Film Festival
- CinemaScope interview with Michael Sicinski and Dani [Leventhal] Restack, Strangely Ordinary This Devotion; Fall 2017
- SOTD in Blackflash, Winter 2017, Conversation between Dani Leventhal, Sarah Hollenberg and Sheilah Wilson.
- Conversation Four Ways with Dana Hoey, Leeza Meksin, Carmen Winant and Sheilah Wilson, M/other Voices, September 2016.
- One Image/One Paragraph, Saint Lucy, curated by Mark Alice Durant.
- Artist talk and critiques, Kenyon College, Ohio.
- Artist talk for Sweetly the Pilgrim, Slowly the Way, Confederation Arts Centre, Prince Edward Island.
- Artist talk and critiques, Wright State University, Ohio.
- Interview with Raymonde April, in Blackflash Magazine, Spring 2015.
- Eric Hibit Interviews Leeza Meksin and Joshua Bienko about Tightened, as if By Pliers for Temporary Art Review.
- Interview with Evergon, in Blackflash Magazine, Winter 2015.
- Review of Pictou Island Portage by Veronica Simmonds in C Magazine Winter 2014.
- Interview with Jin Me Yoon in Blackflash Magazine, Fall 2014.
- "Equal Parts Real and Imagined" Artist Talk, Confederation Centre, Prince Edward Island.
- Mother Mountain Ghost chapter in Performing Motherhood edited by Amber E. Kinser, Kryn Freehling-Burton and Terri Hawkes published by York University, Demeter Press.
- Journal Artistic Research 5 The Invisible Inside the Visible essay.
- Interview with Lauren Frances Adams about curated performance show, Body as Omen, for Temporary Art Review Summer 2014.
- Interview with CHMA Louis Zatzman, April 2014.
- C Magazine Artist project for Walking issue, Spring 2014, 121. Essay by Stephen Horne.
- Cover and artist project for Puerta del Sol, Winter 2014, New Mexico.
- Kapsula Bad History February 2014. Edited by Caiomhe Morgan-Feir. Essay on The Invisible Inside the Visible.
- Consistently strong year for Wellington Arts, by Mark Amery. Dominon Post, December 11, 2013.
- Invisible Inside the Visible, paper presented as part of panel 'Storytelling at the Edge of Time' chaired by Marie Fraser of Universite Quebec a Montreal at the UAAC conference.
- In the Presence of Presence: The Embodied Souvenir in Sheilah Wilson's Build Your Altar To This Moment. Essay by Olivia Collinson for Enjoy Gallery.
- Edition special for soanyway magazine, April 2013 online publication.
- Space and Place: New Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences curated by Catherine Stuer. Symposium contributor, Denison University.
- Radical Ephemeral teach in at Denison University.
- Honoring Dr. King as Simple as Helping, by Holly Zachariah Columbus Dispatch, Monday, January 21, 2013.
- Interview with Leeza Meksin for Temporary Contemporary, December 2012.
- If Becoming This catalogue for Herndon Gallery, Antioch University show, 2012. Catalogue essays by Cyndi Conn, Angela Farris Belt and Stephen Horne.
- The Invisible Inside the Visible: Investigation of Place and Memory in rural Nova Scotia, Global Studies Seminar, Denison University.
- Fotofocus Shows I have seen feature by Jane Alden Stevens.
- Equal Parts Imagined and Real, Artist Talk, Antioch University.
- Peformance Anxiety, pdf catalogue for Ephemeral Traces group show, curated by Claudia Arozqueta, Enjoy Gallery, New Zealand. Written by Martin Patrick.
- Review of W(here) festival Pictou County, Visual Arts Nova Scotia, Fall 2012.
- Artist talk, NSCAD University, Nova Scotia.
- Equal Parts Real and Imagined, Artist talk, W(here) festival, Nova Scotia.
- Artist talk and Cloud Exchange project, Ranfurly Rooms, Masterton, New Zealand.
- "A cloud in the shape of a cross: engaging a public" Artist talk: Aratoi Museum of History and Culture, Masterton, New Zealand.
- "Re-telling the History of Nova Scotia", Denison University Lunch hour talk.
- Featured artist in Flash-Flood issue two, an online publication of photography.
- "Humor as Strategy", paper presented for University Art Association of Canada at 2009 conference in Edmonton, Alberta. Session, entitled "Ha, Ha! Made You Look: The Role of Humor in Art Activism", chaired by Christopher Moore.
- "Shows Salute venue's rich legacy", Christopher Yates for The Columbus Dispatch, Sunday October 11, 2009.
- Interview with Susan Loubet on KUNM, Womens Focus, Saturday June 27, 2009.
- Review in Duke City Fix blog, June 2009.
- Visiting Artist, Notre Dame University, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- "Intersections: The photograph in popular culture", presentation for Film Studies Department, Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- "Performing Rebellion: The Body and Feminist Art", paper presented for Diverse Students Leadership Conference, Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- "Add Art and the Future of Online Advertising" by Paddy Johnson at artfagcity.com.
- "Felting Down Under: A Canadian Artists Experience", CreativeFibre, New Zealand, September 2008, volume 11 no 2.
- Artist presentation, NSCAD University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- "Bridging the Gap Between Mauriceville and Nova Scotia", article by Jo Moir, Wairapa Times Age, Wairapa, New Zealand, May 22, 2008.
- "The Universe of Sheilah Wilson", article by Kathryn Davis, THE Magazine, Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 2008.
- "Feminists Under Forty show honors neon and novel", article by Leanne Goebel, Durango Herald, March 21, 2008.
- "Feminists Under Forty: New Mexico Feminist Art Exhibition", review by Kathryn Davis, THE Magazine, Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 2008.
- Nova Scotia from Memory, author.
- "Night at the Movies", preview by Robert Nott for Noche Delicious III Film festival in the Pasatiempo: New Mexican, July 23, 2007.
- "Frontiers of Fancy", article by Elizabeth Cook Romero, Pasatiempo: New Mexican, May 17, 2007.
- Artist talk at 516 Arts in conjunction with exhibit Eye to I.
- "Egg on Your Face" review by Zane Fischer in the Santa Fe Reporter.
- "Southwest Biennial" review by Jon Carver in THE Magazine
- The Golden Egg, editor.
- "Exhibits: 'Confessions'", review by Daniella Walsh, The Register, California, April 16, 1994.
- Dialog 360, Lecture at Center for Contemporary Arts, Santa Fe.